Living the Dream

Welcome to our window. Through this window you may get a glimpse of our new career. Long Haul Trucking. Belinda and I have been married 33 years and as of the start of this new life have 4 beautiful children that have left the nest. We begin this journey at midlife as we enter half a century of living and raising children. Please feel free to come back and watch us live our new dream.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Well, I guess we have to start this blog out somewhere. So I'll start by bringing us up to date.
This journey began back in January as I researched companies to determine who would be best for us. Actually, I really must begin further back then that. Our original plans were to retire in our mid 50's and basically live in a motor home and travel this great country of ours. Those plans fell apart a little over 5 years ago. But that would be a whole book unto itself.

Needing to go back to work now that our children have left the nest, I decided that maybe we could keep part of our plans and travel this great country. I began researching companies and found several that put us through training and then hire us to driver for them. Of course to do this, you have to sign a contract to drive for anywhere from 8 months to 2 years to satisfy the contract depending on the company. I had just about decided to just keep saving and try to pay for schooling myself and then our opportunities were much broader in choosing a company that would treat us better then most training companies.

About this time CFI or Contract Freighters Inc. started a new program in wich they sponsored part of the cost of attending Crowder college Truck Training in Neosho, MO.
And they will do this without any contract to satisfy. They are taking us on faith that we will drive for them once we have completed the course and have CDL in hand. Now the reputation of this company far exceeds any of the training companies and any other company that I know of that will hire a new driver. So this is the place I want to go. Belinda will continue to work and keep us fed and in insurance as I proceed with this new plan. Once I get on the road and am there long enough to get our insurance, my darling will join me and we'll enjoy this journey together.

I was pre approved and set up to go to school November 27th. Now all I had to do was gather my needed funds, pass the tests to get my cdl permit, and obtain my DOT physical.

October 3rd I received a phone call from CFI and they have an opening for the October 30 class and moved my shool date up a month. I am now trying to put everything in high gear and move things along faster. I am studing now to go get the permits and will contact CFI to set up my DOT physical within two weeks of my start date.

Well, that about brings us up to date and I'll try to keep this up as I progress and get into school. In a few short months, Belinda and I will be living the dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home