Living the Dream

Welcome to our window. Through this window you may get a glimpse of our new career. Long Haul Trucking. Belinda and I have been married 33 years and as of the start of this new life have 4 beautiful children that have left the nest. We begin this journey at midlife as we enter half a century of living and raising children. Please feel free to come back and watch us live our new dream.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Today puts me one GIANT step closer to obtaining our new life. Some of the requirements for a commercial truck driver are a DOT authorized health certificate, and drug screen. This is required to protect the general public as well as all other commercial drivers. You really don't want to share the road with an 80,000 pound missile coming at you piloted by an unconscious driver. So we are screened for high blood pressure, high sugar levels and other things that may prevent a driver from remaining in control of the big rig.

I passed my physical and got my certificate allowing me to pilot a rig. So now off to attempt the written test portions for my CDL license. I arrived at DMV and announced that I was ready to take my tests. I was asked what endorsements I needed and replied that I had studied the whole manual and was ready to take them all with the exception of Hazmat. They asked me again if I really wanted to take all of them, and I said sure, nothing to lose but a bit of time.
So I took 5 tests...
General Knowledge and earned a 93
Combination vehicle and earned a 94
Air Brakes and earned a 100 WooHoo
Doubles/Triples and earned 94
Tankers and earned 89

All passing grades and got me a brand new shiny CDL class A permit in my pocket.
I am now legal to pilot a big rig as long as I have a licensed co pilot in the jump seat next to me. All I need now is some instruction and a whole lot of practice. That will soon begin as My 1st day of class begins Monday, October 30.

I also had a final interview with my recruiter from CFI and all is set up for when I come out of class for the Thanksgiving Holiday. The way things are working out, I'll graduate CDL school the day before Thanksgiving and then attend orientation at CFI the following Monday.
Home for the Holidays, it just doesn't get any better then that.
I guess my next update will be after 1st day of class. Stay Tuned and Follow Your Dream

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home