Living the Dream

Welcome to our window. Through this window you may get a glimpse of our new career. Long Haul Trucking. Belinda and I have been married 33 years and as of the start of this new life have 4 beautiful children that have left the nest. We begin this journey at midlife as we enter half a century of living and raising children. Please feel free to come back and watch us live our new dream.

Monday, November 27, 2006

ORIENTATION DAY 1

Paper work, paper work, paper work!!! I'm not sure, but I think I may have given my first born son away. I sure hope he doesn't mind. I have hired to many companies in my early life and have never seen so many forms. The trucking companies must protect them selves from all possible liabilities I'm sure, but man O man do they have a lot of paper.
Then had to take another drug screening. No problem for me and no worries here.
More Paper work.
Lunch and film about Highway Watch to help look out for trouble and terrorists.
More Paper work.
Out to the range to test our skills using a T-2000 KenWorth attached to a 53 foot box.
I was second in line to do the 45 degree alley dock back. The driver in front of me... An experienced driver I might add scored something like 60 out of 100. I said to self as I watched, "you did not set up correctly dummy"
My turn... Set up... Looked perfect as I was taught at Crowder (Thanks Kelli) Got out as required after turning on my flashers and secured my area. Got back in truck and backed to within 15 feet of gate. Got out again to check position as required. Made a pull up or two so I would be square as I slid her in. Backed about 10 feet inside the gate. Got out 3rd time as the company requires. Nailed it home and scored 100. Man that felt good.

Obstacle course...
Hmmmm, This course is tight. The instructors walked us around explaining scores and how each obstacle is graded. There is total of 120 points and the instructor piloting the truck scored 114 as we walked around with him. (Show Off)
I am glad that was not cars that I was bumping up against as I went around those curbs. Scored 62... I was not happy with that score, but as I watched experienced drivers score in the mid 40s, I did not feel so bad about my score.

This was a long full day. Tomorrow, we will take road tests for the company while interacting with real traffic. I not sure what else, but I have a feeling there may be more paper work.

Did I mention there is a LOT of paper work?

Living the Dream

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad everything is going well for you, Daddy! I'll tell everyone to stay out of Joplin for a while!

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home