Living the Dream

Welcome to our window. Through this window you may get a glimpse of our new career. Long Haul Trucking. Belinda and I have been married 33 years and as of the start of this new life have 4 beautiful children that have left the nest. We begin this journey at midlife as we enter half a century of living and raising children. Please feel free to come back and watch us live our new dream.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

ORIENTATION DAY 2

Yep, you guessed it... More paper work. I had heard there was a bunch of signing papers, but now I know first hand. There is a LOT of paper to read and sign. We were introduced to trip planning today. I have made many many personal trips as well as business travel in my personal car. I have always been able to read a map and find where I wanted to go. This involves so much more. Planning where you will fuel, streach your legs, eat, and take your qualifing break so you can drive again legally. Do this while meeting the on time delivery and getting the freight there safely and no damage. Wow, there is much more to it then just picking the route you want to drive. I really got a steep learning curve to conquor on this, because if I don't, I'm going to be late before I every start the truck up. I can't belive that it took me OVER 3 hours to plan a trip from Laredo, TX to Tayor Michigan. Shucks, I could have been over 150 miles up the road by the time I had decided wich way I was going to leave out the gate. I've got to get much better at this, as I am sure they are not going to wait 3 hours or more for me to tell then what my ETA is. By the way we do not have "Estimated" time of arrival. We have "EXPECTED" time of arrival and if some unforseen problem is going to cause us to be late, the shipper must be notified in advance. This is why CFI is so successfull. I forget the exact percent, but I think it was like 99.8% on time delivery success. I have a lot to live up to. Considering that the company only hires about 3 out of every 100 applicants, I consider myself very fortunate to be accepted with this outfit.

This afternoon brought the real world road test to us. I scored just a bit above average and will now strive to improve this should I ever be tested again. I want to be the best I can be and do it safely. Tomorrow I should be an official CFI employee and be hitting the road very soon.

A "significant" ice/snow event is predicted to hit us tomorrow. Not real sure what they have planned for us, so stay tuned.

Living the Dream

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home