Living the Dream

Welcome to our window. Through this window you may get a glimpse of our new career. Long Haul Trucking. Belinda and I have been married 33 years and as of the start of this new life have 4 beautiful children that have left the nest. We begin this journey at midlife as we enter half a century of living and raising children. Please feel free to come back and watch us live our new dream.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

I'M BACK

Yep, I'm back in Laredo TX. We left here Tuesday afternoon headed for West Memphis, AR. We made that run as a deadhead. With the empty trailer, you don't even know it's back there except when you look in the mirrors. This was soon to change. We got to W. Memphis and took a 10 hour reset and was then dispatched to Sikeston, MO. The load I picked up there was quite heavy. We had gross weight over 77,600 and when I went to pull it away from the dock I just grinned and said, "Oh Yeah Baby!, We got a box full now". You are very aware of when you have a full load. I shifted thru each of the 13 gears to get her moving and up to speed on the hiway. It was not very many hours and before I knew it, I was in my old hometown of Brookhaven MS. Yep, my second load and I'm in old stomping grounds. We were told that we could take our ten hour break at the WalMart DC, but the parking there was just on the industrial road with no bathroom or any thing else. I suggested that we just move up the road a bit and spend the night at the OLD Brookhaven Truckstop. When we got there we decided to get a bite to eat before we hit the sack. I ordered pancakes and sausage. Jerry got bacon and eggs, toast and hashbrowns. Forty five minutes later we were still waiting on our food. Seems the 11 PM shift change is not a good time to place an order. Finally our food arrived and mine was well done. Pancakes were almost black. Jerry and I was laughing, and I said, I'd just eat them as they were. There was no way I was going to wait another half hour or more to get another order. Actually, they were not burnt and were very tasty. I guess after you run for over 8 hours and tired, it's all good.
We left Brookhaven the next day and headed to Mobile AL, to trade our empty trailer for a loaded one that came out of Florida. The driver we relayed with was from that area and wanted to take his days off. We then took that loaded trailer to Laredo, TX.
That is where I am now as I bring my journal up to date. So goes the life of an over the road trucker. This puts me at just over 3200 miles in my very first week. Not bad for an old dog learning new tricks. Until next time....

Some of the trucks on call in Laredo, TX


Living my Dream

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home