Living the Dream

Welcome to our window. Through this window you may get a glimpse of our new career. Long Haul Trucking. Belinda and I have been married 33 years and as of the start of this new life have 4 beautiful children that have left the nest. We begin this journey at midlife as we enter half a century of living and raising children. Please feel free to come back and watch us live our new dream.

Monday, December 04, 2006

MY FIRST DAY

Joplin the day before I left for my Training Run.

Well it was a long wait and seemed to never get here. I finally got in the truck Sunday morning. My finisher wanted to get us out of town and away from the ice and snow, so he drove the first two hours or so and got us to Muskogee, OK. I took over and got behind the wheel and Jerry just said get us moving. He was great and let me make and recover from my mistakes on my own. We had great conversation and the day just quickly drifted by. I really was not thinking about what was ahead very much, but it was no time at all and I'm in Dallas, TX. I'm glad that this first day actually ended up being on Sunday. The traffic was fairly light and I got good experiance drifting through a big city and practicing my lane control. Just as I got on south side of Dallas ready to merge back onto I35 we hit a "break check".

That's trucker talk for all vehicles are stopped. So now I got a bit of practice at creeping along. I'm pretty good at creeping along and managed my way across three lanes of traffic and made my intended off ramp.
I thought Texas was wide open country mostly but was in for a rude awakeing as I traveled down I35. Austin, San Antonio, and even the little border town of Laredo are huge compared to what I thought they were. We checked into Laredo this morning and got out orders to deliver the trailer across town at a local wharehouse. I got to drop my first trailer in a fairly tight little yard they had next to the wharehouse. Actually put it into the last spot they had there in between a couple of other trailers. I know this is old hat to any other driver, but I was proud that I got this into a place where I could not get full school taught 45 degree setup.
More soon to come I'm sure. Stay tuned.

Living the Dream

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so PROUD of you,Honey, I'm glad you're safe and having a good time!! Missing you in the snow, ha,ha...Loving you forever and always! Belinda

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having FUN! Be careful!
Love you, Kelly

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo it does look like u are having fun....but it looks like from the pic u have taken the pic from the driver seat.....LOL
Glad u are having fun

get somewhere near and i'll buy ya a steak on the house

jerome

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home